05 Jan WHY You Should Make Your Yearly Goals, Today!
A goal is defined as “the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result”. Goal setting is one of the most researched, talked about and often underused tools in management and career development. Research has consistently shown that difficult, self-generated goals, structured as S.M.A.R.T. goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-focused, and Time-bound) have a more positive and dramatic impact that no goals, easy goals, or “do your best” goals. Yet, the majority of us don’t like to do them.
I like to think of Goal Setting Time as a big deal, a really fun time to plan my life and orchestrate the results I want for the coming year. Here are the steps we use at Switchgear:
- Write out every goal you can think of, no matter how silly or difficult.
- Assign each goal a realistic deadline
- Group goals by deadline (this month, this year, 3 years from now, etc)
- Break down this month’s goals into weekly or daily action items and put them on your calendar. Repeat for your yearly goals.
- Block out time on your calendar on a monthly or quarterly basis to revisit your goals.
Just like you schedule maintenance on your car or yearly wellness checks-ups, your life and career also needs regular review to ensure its wellness. As easy as it is to slip into the “daily grind”, yearly goal setting is an opportunity to dream big, reach for what you want and allow yourself to look up and explore all the possibilities that life has to offer you! When you think about it that way, goal setting flips from a chore into an adventure!
By Dixie Agostino, HRCI Chair for Tulsa Area Human Resources Association and CEO of Switchgear Search & Recruiting
For more information, answers or for help on your personal yearly plan (she really loves that stuff!), contact Dixie Agostino at Dixie@126.96.36.199 or (918) 574-8750Contact Dixie